The week that would not end finally did. Hooray! Before, I noted that I can't throw my kids off by not being at school. Well- the teacher can not be thrown off by a holiday mid-week. On Wednesday, Thursday and Friday I heard the alarm go off and wished it was Tuesday...
That sounds a bit depressing, and it was at 6:10 each morning, but the week actually went well. Last night I graded yesterday's assessments and analyzed them this morning. They are sooo good! My kids are learning- and my "bubble kids" (the ones I could get over 68%-70%) are in the 80%-90% range. Hooray!
Yesterday, I met with my assistant principal to have our evaluation conference. She presented me with the summary she had written of me based on our conversations and her observations. It was so complementary-- and she assured me that I was a natural teacher who was only going to get better and better. That was soooo encouraging. I know you all tell me that, and your opinion is highly valued, but when someone who actually has control of your job tells you that- it's pretty special : )
So school is going well- the kids are progressing and maturing little-by-little. Oh, one quick, slightly horrifying story. Yesterday, the kids were sitting on the floor, I was sitting in my rocking chair and we were reviewing sight word and phonogram flashcards. As we recite them, I scan the room to make sure kids are following along and moving their mouths. I spot my one very-special ed boy and I shout out his name.
The dear child has stuck his pencil in the round grounding hole of the electrical outlet! I tell him to go sit at his desk and then we had a class discussion about not touching outlets because of the dangers. One of my bright girls says in a low somber voice, "Yeah, he almost died..."
My husband has assured me that pencils, even two pencils stuck simultaneously in the live holes of the outlet, will not kill the children. I looked at him and said, "Fine, but what about the paper clips that they magically become owners of?" His look was not so reassuring...
I did not know that outlet safety was part of the first grade curriculum. I was wrong.
Enough about school-- Christmas is coming! I told you that I did some Christmas shopping on Tuesday and today I worked on some homemade gifts that I am going to give to friends and colleagues at school. Ross had to go into work for a few hours this morning, so I took the opportunity to do laundry, go grocery shopping and make a hot lunch for him to eat when he got home. I like being a wife and a homemaker. Shhh... don't tell anybody, but that was almost as rewarding as teaching six-year-olds all day...
I hope you have had a relaxing and productive weekend so far. Please pray that it is a blessed time before a busy, busy week : )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment