Sunday, August 17, 2008

Children's Books

Last summer I began a new adventure of falling in love with children's books. Not picture books, exactly, (although those are wonderful, too) but middle-school-geared chapter books.

I love them because, if well written, they have deep, meaningful themes, characters that you can admire and feel for and you walk away from them feeling like a better person. Unlike most adult-geared books, they steer clear from anything dirty, suggestive or crude. And that is so refreshing to me. Just think, a piece of literary art that doesn't include a swear word or scandal. It's a beautiful thing... Oh, and one more benefit, many can be finished in just one afternoon.

Yesterday, after lesson writing and laundry, I dove into Edward's Eyes a book by Patricia MacLachlan. It's so short that if I were to give you a synopsis, I would give the entire book away. I'm just going to say that you need to read it. It will make you a better person : )

I love her books and would highly suggest: Sarah, Plain and Tall (the Newberry winner for my year of birth) Journey, Baby, or Seven Kisses in a Row. I'm reading Seven Kisses in a Row to my first graders during the "after lunch recess cool down" and they are loving it.

I'm sure you will love it as well : )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love middle age books... I have gotten many strange looks from adults as I have holed myself up somewhere reading a children's book. You must read Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelen. It wall bring tears to your eyes!