Monday, August 18, 2008

Monday... Monday...

Today was somewhere between fabulous and crazy...

This morning we worked hard on phonics, word building, introducing our reading books, and echo reading. The kids did very well. After lunch, however, they just get really antsy to go home. I must admit that I can not blame them...

I had a special today- Art with Mr. Luna. His room has been taken over so he was going to come teach art in my classroom. All my specials start at 12:15- so when 12:30 rolled around, he wasn't there, and I was scrambling to keep my kids busy... I called the front office. Mr. Luna was paged and was in our room by 12:35. He apologized and said that one schedule says he comes at 12:15 and one says he comes at 1:00. He agreed to stay longer if I could run to the office and make sure he didn't need to be somewhere else at 1:00.

I run up front and, low and behold, I am scheduled from 1:00-1:4o- my schedule said that and I just ASSUMED all of my schedules were at the same time. It worked out that he could come at 12:30 because he was supposed to teach kindergarten at that time, but they are still going home early.

Long story short- I read the schedule wrong, but there was, yet again, a compassionate person working with me : )

After art, we celebrated one boy's birthday. He is just now turning six. This explains a lot in regards to his behavior/maturity/wigglyness, etc....

Dismissal for my class was fine. Everyone knew where they were going and how to get there. I was on bus bay duty (which is CRAZY!) and encountered a boy who did not know his bus number. The boy and I quickly walked to the office, found his number, and quickly walked back. On the way, the boy stepped right on my shoe and broke a strap on it. This is what happens when you work with six-year-olds...

Broken shoes...Excited faces...Bear hugs..."You're the best teacher ever"comments and tattle telling.... In the end, it's actually a very good job : )

Prayer Requests: The air is still not working! The principal is now aware of others who are having the same problem. Please pray that it would all be fixed promptly. I'm also feeling a little stress in regards to getting all my academics in. One teacher is already giving her first math test! I was hoping to start math tomorrow. They would like us to be on the same page in every subject so we can compare test scores, graphs, charts, etc, etc.... Our first grade team is very diverse in every way possible. Please pray that we would have unity in regards to our pacing and our goals and that we would be kind and graceful to those who work differently than we do.

Thanks!

1 comment:

5hr drive said...

Ok, the teacher who is already giving the math test is just showing off! The antsy-ness after lunch, wow, they've got a LOT of school time left after lunch. Maybe if they've got a lot of energy right then you could jump right into math. I'd be happy to do some math-related stuff when I come in, if you can think of anything first-graderish for me to do...
I've added a tab for your blog on my homepage so I can find it every day, it's highly entertaining!
-Love ya, keep at it,
-Dad