Friday, August 29, 2008

Why Teachers LOVE Teaching...

Today was marvelous. Here is why:

1) My kids are beginning to exceed my expectations. They all brought their finished homework. They all had signed folders. I gave a reading test, spelling test and a science test. There was no talking, no ripping of papers; they held up really well.

2) I haven't graded them yet, but from what I can tell, my kids did well. And the ones who didn't- I have a better idea how to help them.

3) Mom and Dad came again. That in and of itself is a blessing : )

4) They brought lunch from McDonald's for me and two of my students- the student of the week from last week and this week. My kids and I had a LONG talk about fairness and how this is fair because they will get a turn (Mom and Dad agreed to bring lunch every Friday). But the best part was how it made the two little kids SO happy. They felt so special and we had a marvelous time together.

5) Five minutes before I had to pick the other kids up from recess, my aunt Pam's at my classroom door with little Jamba Juices! It was so fun to be surprised and to share my classroom with her. As usual, she made half a dozen friends while she was there (under and over the age of 6...)

6) My social studies centers were so much fun! Mom read them two stories, America Is... and The Pledge of Allegiance (both so good!) and helped them make American flags out of torn paper. Then dad read them a big book that had a house floorplan at the end and then they drew maps of their own houses. When they were with me, we read about running for president and made our own "Vote for Me" bumper stickers. They were supposed to write them about themselves, but half of them wrote "Vote for Mrs. Gentle!" They told me that they wanted me to be president. My one little boy wrote "Vote for Luis D. and Mrs. Gentle" He wants me to be his VP : )

7) My kids were able to clean up, pack up and have Choice Time with no issues. Hooray for procedures and practice!

2 comments:

5hr drive said...

That was fun! And hey, I think I made some friends too! I won't mention names, but I got some big smiles and I got invited over for hot dogs! I think I'm responsible for bringing the ketchup though! You have such a diverse class -- diverse in ethnicity and in needs. But it's nice to see the kids behaving so well and ready to learn (mostly).

AuntieV said...

I would love to see you mom and dad in your classroom. You are very lucky as are your kiddos.