Friday, January 23, 2009

Comfort Food

Last weekend, I was looking through my new Real Simple magazine that is completely devoted to comfort food. I love the magazine and I love to eat : ) so I was pretty excited. On the editor's page, the Chief Editor discussed how comfort food is universal, right? Like everyone thinks macaroni cheese and beef stew are comfort foods. Apparently, this is not the case- so she went around the office polling people.

Some of the answers included lattes, chocolate pudding and coconut cake. These totally do not count as comfort foods in my book. First, desserts are delicious, and may be called upon to relieve stress, but are not comfort foods. These must be hot dishes that are only served in the winter time, because mother never dared to turn the stove on in July. They must also have a bit of a casserole-like flair...

So, I'm thinking this in my head and all the sudden it comes out my mouth "What! That is soooo not a comfort food!" I'm sitting next to my dear husband who turns and gives me the infamous "Who are you talking to-- it's not me, is it?" look.

So then I ask him. What do you think of when you hear the words "comfort food" and do you know what he said???

You.

I told him I think that was the nicest thing he'd ever said to me... even though he didn't have a clue.... I thought it was so nice I made him comfort food the whole rest of the week : )

No comments: