Monday, January 26, 2009

If I Get Interrupted One More Time...

I'm going to have to shoot somebody : )

No, not really. But I may scream...

Last week was really hard because the kids could not seem to contain themselves. They were constantly excited about something. Now, excitement is good. Passion and enthusiasm are gifts. But self-control is a greater one. So is having a patient teacher who is willing to teach you self control. That is why there aren't many 1st grade teachers...

So last week, I felt like I was battling with the kids and their lack of control. I honestly don't think I was able to say four sentences in a row, without getting interrupted. Do you know how hard it is to teach like that? Do you know how difficult it is to give directions? It's near impossible.

This morning, I woke up and was so grateful for a new day and a fresh start at school. Things were going to be different. Or so I thought : )

First off, today was our 100th day of school (can you believe that? I don't know if it feels longer or shorter...) The kids were excited about that, because in kindergarten, the whole day is devoted to this celebration. In first grade, we don't have time for that. I had set aside some time after recess to do a project with other first grade teachers and then planned my math activity around the number 100- but that was all. However, just the number was enough to get them started.

Reading actually went quite well this morning. They were eager to read a new big book together and a new introduction story in their basals. We're moving right along, talking about describing words and how we can use them- when an announcement comes on. "Teachers, please excuse the interruption. We are now ready to begin bus evacuation. Will our kindergarten and first grade classes please proceed to the front parking lot? Thank you."

I literally stared at our overhead speaker. "What?" I groaned and then had the kids line up. We get out to the buses, and the kids were ridiculous. They didn't want to sit still and listen, and the bus driver wasn't doing a very good job of keeping their attention. Then it comes time to evacuate, and I get stuck sliding 75 kids out the side door of the bus.

We go to recess, and then to the other teachers' rooms for a "quick" 100 day activity. It went for 45 minutes and we still didn't finish before lunch. Then we go to lunch and I go back to my room and realize that I haven't been there in over an hour and a half. Where has the morning gone??

Lunch ends and I go to pick up my class. I recognize a parent on the playground and remember that I had talked to her on the phone last week about some concerns I had about her son and how he often cries because he misses her. On the phone I suggested her maybe coming to pick him up a little early from afterschool program or stopping by for lunch. (The phone call itself could be worth a blog... the little boy is from a divorced home and is at school everyday from 7 to 5.. poor kid...)

The boy comes up to me and cries about some kid that wouldn't share with him, so my boy hit the other boy. Oh my goodness. It just gets crazier by the minute.

We go inside, and the mom needs to talk to me- for ten more minutes. Then I have a chance to teach my kids a new procedure (in ten minutes) and it's time for them to go to reading class. Geez!

I get those kids out the door- instruct my others to get out their whiteboards and (make a guess) the fire alarm goes off! The kids scream, I swear (no, not really : ) we head outside and I wonder where all my other kids are...

It turns out that this is not a drill, but the alarm went off somehow (no, fire though) but we had to stand outside for 15 minutes so everyone could be found and so the fire department could come and investigate.

How much time have I lost now? Who knows??

We return to class for fifteen minutes of instruction, then it's off to music for 45 minutes. I pick them up and they sing me this cute little song that went on forever...

Then it's back to the classroom to count 100 goldfish and 100 M&M's and then they go home and I'm wondering how the day could have gone on for so long and have us accomplish nothing...

Oh well, tomorrow is a fresh start, right?

No comments: