Wednesday, September 10, 2008

22 days with 22 students and a 22-year-old teacher

Can you believe it's only been 22 days?? Doesn't it feel like an eternity??

Today was another early release day. People keep asking me how many we have. FYI- every Wednesday is early out. Crazy, huh?

The biggest highlight of the day was when we received our new student- on our way to music. We literally walked past the office, were stopped by a secretary who asked me my name and then handed her to me. I held her little hand and encouraged her while my boisterous ones kept saying, "Who's that? Is she a new girl? Is she going to be in our class?" I dropped them off at music, and then quickly went back to my room to label folders for her and make sure a desk had everything it needed. I labeled a mailbox for her, too. She seems very sweet and quiet. She should be a nice addition : )

About fifteen minutes before we were supposed to leave today, my one little boy who has serious self esteem issues was caught talking while I was talking (again!) I had been very merciful so far, but had had enough, so I wrote his name on the board. He started with his "Tomorrow, I'm taking the bus" Then went on to... "I am going to destroy this place... take a big rock and throw it at the school... burn it down." Um, yeah, so tomorrow, he's going to start the day in the assistant principal's office. I had visions of his face on TV 10 years from now being a school shooter and me being devastated. It's sad, but we can't ignore any of those remarks anymore...

I had a district meeting this afternoon about our 90 minute reading block and what we are supposed to accomplish in it. The presenter was mildly entertaining, but the chairs were uncomfortable, it was VERY hot at the school and I, frankly, had more important things to do. Oh, well.

Tomorrow is an important day for us Americans. I was hoping to do a small activity with the kids. I ran it past the principal first and she said that the day was too traumatic and sad - that families should remember it at home. I have very mixed feelings about that. So- I am going to wear my patriotic outfit again (red top, navy skirt) with a flag pin (eat that, Barack Obama) and happily answer any questions my kids have about my apparel.


Have a good night and remember to pray for those who lost loved ones and remember to savor your freedom!

P.S. My soreness. I was mildly sore yesterday, right after kickboxing. This morning, I woke up and felt the same pain. I was quite happy that it hadn't increased. Then, this afternoon, I went to get something out of a low drawer and I couldn't squat to get it. My legs just weren't going to do it. Price you pay, I guess : )

No comments: