Friday, September 12, 2008

From Bad to Good to Bad to Good : )

During breakfast, I felt like today was going to be a bad day... It turned out to be okay : )

Fridays are rather hectic, the kids have to turn in their homework and everybody's got something important to tell me. My twenty minutes to get stuff in order felt like four. Then, somebody dropped their breakfast-muffin- donut thing on the floor, and others walked through it-- ugh...

Then we switched classes - I sent my dear ELL's down the hall and got that teacher's trouble makers. We took our reading test and I was mortified as her kids peeked at other kids papers, drew on their tests, drew on other kid's private screens!! Oh, goodness...

But the day got better, it really did.

I sent the naughty ones back, Mom and Dad came and sat next to those who needed help during the spelling test and we played Sparkle with Daddy- good times. Mom and Dad also helped me get some reading and counting assessments done. Then we had lunch with my little student of the week.

After lunch, we went over our calendar and I pointed out that tomorrow was "Mr. Shever's" birthday. This was the best part. A couple little boys got up to give him a hug- then the WHOLE class gave him a huge bear hug. It was darling. Then we sang him Happy Birthday and ate pudding cups with whipped cream and Mickey Mouse sprinkles. Yummy!

After choice time, I sent them off to Art and then after Art, sent them home. At that point, I figured the day had finished well...

At about 2:45, the head secretary called over the intercom "Mrs. Gentle to the front office, please. Mrs. Gentle to the front office." Oh, dear. This can not be good. I walk down to the office, speak with the secretary and she asks if one of my boys got on the bus- because his mom was here to say that he didn't get off... This little boy is one that I am very concerned about- I think he might have mental issues.

I specifically remember him getting on a bus- whether it was the right one... Then I remember that a bus that is normally at the end of the line was at the front. The boy got in the very last one- I bet he was supposed to be on the very first one! I tell the secretary all this and she starts calling the transportation department. Meanwhile, the mother is not angry- but she is sitting in the corner crying...

The transportation department will not pick up the phone, and by now, the buses should be returning to pick up the older kids. So, I walk out to the buses to see if I can find him. As I approach, I see him get off of the wrong bus and hop on the right one. Oh good, he is found.

I spoke with him about knowing the bus number, not the bus order. He was returned safely, the mom stopped crying and all was well.

Right now, mom is busy making Mexican rice for dinner- Dad is anxiously awaiting his birthday enchiladas and I am, well, blogging. Tonight should be fun with the party and, it turns out, my two cousins will be spending the night- under the condition that they help me with school work : )

Have a great weekend and we will as well!

No comments: